Monday, February 21, 2011

Healthy Food on the Go

As your little one grows, your world (and theirs) starts to open up a bit. You're no longer a prisoner in your home and since they can stay awake a bit longer, you can run more errands and even grab lunch while out. This can get dangerous, too. Remember that you are setting an example for you little one, from day one. You'll be amazed at how much these little sponges soak up every single day.

If I'm out running errands, I never leave the house without the diaper bag. I am unwilling to risk a potential meltdown, my son puking all over his clothes, or a big old stinky diaper. I'm prepared for almost anything. I always keep snacks in the diaper bag, too. I bring healthy, organic snacks from home so that I'm not forced to buy something that my son really shouldn't be eating. At this point, the snacks are a bit more about learning and entertainment than they are nutrition. He is still getting most of his nutrition from breastmilk. But nothing quiets a cranky, distracted baby like some organic crackers or cheerios.

There will be times when you stop for lunch with your little one. Just last week, I had a craving for a big old Chipotle burrito. The Eskimo and I went in, I ordered my burrito and I ordered a side of black beans and plain rice for him. He was ecstatic to have his own food and enjoyed smooshing up the rice and black beans and trying to stuff it into his mouth. Almost any restaurant you frequent will have something for your little one to eat. And, as a bonus, if you order something healthy for yourself, you can just share! Even McDonald's has apple slices for your little one to munch on. But remember, you choice of restaurant and entrĂ©e is setting an example for your child, even if they aren't old enough to talk yet.

The other thing I realized as I was sitting in Chipotle and the Eskimo was throwing half his rice and beans on the floor was that I am now one of "those" moms. You know, the moms with the little kids who walk away leaving a huge mess on the floor. I was always shocked that people would do this, but the reality is, there really isn't much you can do about it. I clean up the best I can with a baby wipe, and I always wipe down the table and highchair when we're done, but let's face it, I'm not going to crawl around on the floor picking up grains of rice. Apologies in advance to the person who sits at my table after us. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment